Relatively slow progress this week as I’m juggling many things. I was unhappy with the weighting of the first set of muntins, plus I made a simple error. Nothing amazing, but it was enough to convince me to pull the muntins and start afresh. Incidentally, the muntins were surprisingly strong in situ. One never gets much opportunity to test joinery to destruction in a real-world setting so it’s reassuring to know how much integrity exists within the work we do.
In addition to this, I made the executive decision to remake the horizontal muntins using a couple of quick router jigs. Whereas previously the structural glazing dividers were added to a facing, these are solid wood. Most of the rounding over was carried out by hand using files and paper. Surprisingly satisfying and far more akin to the originals than what comes off a router.
The second and third doors are completed save for the Ebony plugs. Tomorrow I’ll be finishing the first door.
-- "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence"