|Workshop by Elizabeth||posted 03-15-2010 01:36 AM||4726 reads||3 times favorited||38 comments|
click the marker to see the address
Shop photos updated March 2013!
My shop is in a freestanding garage which came with a treated floor and air compressor. I recently measured it and I’ve got about 500 square feet to play in. This space is part of why we bought this house, and I spent April through September 2010 choosing my machines, working out my budget, and – the fun part – ordering them! 2011’s largest improvement project was running some permanent dust collection ducting through the shop. about 85% of it was completed by the end of 2011, and the remaining few lines on the back wall were finished in October 2012.
In December 2011 I had an electrician in to replace four of my five single incandescent bulbs with eight foot banks of fluorescent lighting. On Dec 26th 2011 I installed three sets of wall mounted lumber storage, which has really helped with organization. Next to learn how to use my wet grinder, sharpen my tools and get back to some turning projects that I’ve had on hold for a while.
I’ve kept a photo album of the shop’s development since buying the house in 2010; it can be found here.
Tools list, in order of purchase:
Air compressor (came with the shop)
Secondhand Delta lathe
Triton personal respirator unit
DeWalt scroll saw
Secondhand spindle sander
Porter-Cable floor drill press
Grizzly 14” bandsaw (converted to 220V) dedicated to curves
Carba Tec mini lathe
Secondhand router table
Grizzly belt/disc sander (4”x36”)
DeWalt Router with twin bases
13” DeWalt planer
SawStop cabinet saw (220V)
Grizzly 8” Jointer (220V)
JDS ceiling mounted air filtration system
DeWalt sliding compound miter saw
Harbor Freight 1 HP portable dust collector
Laguna 2HP cyclone dust collector (220V)
Tormek wet grinder
SoleusAir dehumidifier for Oregon winters! (This died after 18 months and was replaced with a PerfectAire model in Aug 2013.)
Canon D420 toner printer at an amazing price; now I can easily copy patterns.
Rikon 18” bandsaw (220V) dedicated to resawing and milling.
Recently completed projects:
- Figured out a way to connect dust hose to the spindle sander’s very shallow port (2/12/12)
- Built a 220v extension cord for my table saw so the miter sled doesn’t interfere with the cabling (spring 2012)
- Made a ””Create word game for my nephew for Christmas (11/25/12)
- Made a wooden height chart for my son (3/21/13)
- Finished replacement ends for three wooden beds (the topic of the April 2012 blog post). Two of the three are done, as are the under-mattress slats for the third. (summer 2013)
Projects currently on the boil:
- Build a miter saw station on top of the long table in back – I’ve got everything done but the movable supports
- Learning to use the Tormek grinder
- Pen turning
- Learning to make bandsaw boxes – I’m using 4×4 western cedar
Projects planned for the near-ish future:
- Very slowly finishing the sanding on my wall mounted baseball cap rack project, and adding keyhole brackets
- Lots of scroll saw practice
- Folding/removable outfeed table for Sawstop
- Outfeed table for 18” bandsaw
- A “vase with flowers” turning project with my next door neighbour