This is still a work in progress. There’s lots to do, but I’m ready to concentrate on building things other than shop projects. The back bench isn’t complete, it still needs better storage for hardware boxes and I don’t have clamp racks built yet. The lumber racks are full and I still have lumber stored in the garage attic and shed. I had to build another lumber rack in the garage for a load of rough sawn Walnut that my awesome wife found for $5.
The back bench area. We brought out a refrigerator and stereo from the garage. The stereo system is a bit over the top. We have huge speakers in all 4 corners and have had neighbors comment from a mile away that our music is too loud. Ha ha. The french cleat system holds up the tool cabinet and is waiting on more tool storage on the far end. I boxed in the dust collection y’s mostly for appearance and added sandpaper storage above the sanding table which is covered by a removable top. The opening in the wall is for a return from the dust collection room. During the summer I haven’t needed it since the overhead doors are always open. In the winter, I’ll need that return to keep from starving the shop of air. Multiple filters will hopefully keep the dust out of the shop.
My low-tech dust collection hood for the miter saw, which works great as long as I turn on the dust collector…
Sanding table without the removable top. This is the closest thing to the 3 hp dust collector and it works great with almost no dust escaping.
The northwest corner. The jointer, workbench, tool board and finished plywood rack on the west wall and a re-purposed drafting cabinet, drill press, both band saws… and another oversized speaker on the north wall. The grinder is set up for sharpening lathe tools, but the lathe hasn’t found a home out here yet. The yellow pull down outlet above the workbench has been a great addition.
A better view of the north wall.
The table saw area. I restored this 1966 Delta/Rockwell Unisaw that I got at an auction for $65. I bought another parts saw for $150 which included the extension table and Unifence. Luckily, I ended up reselling the parts saw for $150 even without all the parts I scavenged. The laminated outfeed table was given to me and the cabinets that hold it up were taken from the former garage shop. This area isn’t finished either, the planer will end up on a cart in the cart garage/back bench. The mortiser, hidden under the outfeed table will end up mounted on the back bench.
A better view of the tool board.
So as I’ve said, it’s not finished but it’s close enough for now. The lathe needs a home out there, the table saw needs a motor cover to improve dust collection and there are lots of other small projects including reorganizing supplies and small tools for a better workflow. I’m thrilled with how it’s turned out so far but I’m ready to start working on other projects for a while. Thanks for reading this blog.