I’ve been meaning to document my shop construction for a few years and finally decided to get started.
I’ve had a few workshops in basements and garages through the years but the dream situation has always been a freestanding shop. When we built our current home in 2001, I was once again in an attached garage sharing space with cars, freezers and other junk. My problem is that I’m always collecting tools that I don’t have room for. This got really aggravating because I spent more time moving things around than actually getting work done. I was frustrated and my wife was frustrated because we could never keep the shop clean and were always tracking sawdust into the house.
Fast forward to 2013 when my oldest son graduated high school, we needed the garage for the graduation party. My shop had to move in a hurry. Stuff went to my brother’s house, garage attic, the shed and what was left was shoved into a corner and tarped off. The party came and went and my wife loved the clutter-free garage. She decided then that it was time to build the freestanding shop that I never thought I’d have, which is just one of the reasons she’s my true soulmate!
So the planning began. We have a sloping property so the locations were limited. For no apparent reason, we had put in a 22’x22’ basketball court to the side of the house. Unfortunately my kids and I never used it for basketball. It turned out to be the best location. Despite everyone’s advice to go bigger, we decided on a 24×40 building which was what we could reasonably afford if we did the framing ourselves. We planned to put the slab around the basketball court which saved quite a bit of concrete.
A few months later we had our neighbor, who has since passed away, dig the spot for the slab, rented a trencher for the foundation and hired one of my best friends to do the concrete.
Notice the ruts in the yard. it was a cold, windy, rainy day. The ground was soaked and the concrete truck left ruts everywhere. The yard still hasn’t recovered 2 years later…
The foundation and floor was complete. Now it would be my turn to get the framing done before another crappy Indiana winter showed up.