Things finally are moving along, unfortunately, a little too fast in the case of the beveled through tenons on the bottom apron and the long stretchers. I forgot to cut the bevels on the tenons BEFORE I cut the arches. As a result I had to come up with plan B. As you can see from the picture, it entails a long fence on the miter bar and a longer piece of sacrificial wood clamped to the miter bar and the stretcher.
Probably not the preferred method for cutting bevels on the tenons, but it worked.
After dry fitting the various pieces for the leg sections, I moved on to rounding over the edges with a 1/8” round over bit on the router table. From there, I sanded everything to 320 grit and applied 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal as an intial pre-finish, sanding with wet 800 grit between coats. After the legs are assembled they will be finished with a couple of coats of spray polyurethane.
The inner pieces were glued up first.
Then the legs were glued up and the wedge tenons were pounded into place.
After the glue dried overnight, the wedges were trimmed and sanded flush to the tenons.
I also made walnut square pegs for the pins on the vertical pieces of the legs. I cheated and used the drill method others on LJ have mentioned.
Chuck the square blank in the drill like you would a bit. Place 220 grit paper on a foam rubber mat folded over several time to make a soft backing. Holding the drill at a slight angle, start the drill. Rock the drill around to make sure the blank end is rounded over to form a slight pillow. Frequently check your progress. Once satisfied with the form, move to 400 grit paper, then 800 grit, and finally 1500 grit paper. Pull the wood out of the chuck and do the same thing to the other end. Repeat until you have a stack of them ready to go.
I glued the square pegs in place, let the glue dry then drilled Miller dowels into the back side of the leg assemblies, slightly into the square pegs.
After a little more sanding, and a coat of polyurethane, and the stretchers dry fit in place things are looking good:
With the legs finished, the drawers, top, and associated internal supports are all that are left to build. Hopefully, there will be plenty of shop time this weekend…...
-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"