I decided to take the approach of constructing the built-ins as a set of base cabinets with bookshelves on top. For this project, there’s a real mish-mash of materials – mostly stuff I had on hand from previous projects or readily available and inexpensive at the big box stores so there’s birch ply, pine and mdf. I didn’t really care since it was all being painted anyways so material choice didn’t matter to me. Glad I made the bookshelves from pine and not MDF. Don’t think I could have carried them up from the basement if there were!
So what you see here are base cabinets 40” wide and 14” deep from 3/4” birch ply. One of a few firsts for me I tried on this project. This is my first face frame cabinet build. Everything I’ve done before were ‘Euro style’.
The tabs or ears you see on the outside sides of the cabinets are there to attach the fluted trim moulding that will be applied once completed. Wasn’t sure of another way to do this so I figured this was quick and easy since nothing will be seen anyways.
The doors are made from pine (rail and stiles) and mdf panels. This provided the opportunity for another first – inset doors – and although far from perfect, not bad for a newbie. After building these, I said I’d never do another set but maybe I’ll change my mind on that. I do like the way they look.
The bookshelves are laminated pine panels I bought at HD and are a 61” high, 40” wide and 11” deep. After building most of my previous projects from ply and solid birch stock, it was nice to go back to pine. Always nice and easy to work with. Face frame construction was used again. The shelves are all fixed as they are only for holding some pics and trinkets anyways. The back is my only regret. Wishing I had gone with 1/8” mdf but there was none at the store so I went with 1/8” meranti ply. It’s fine but doesn’t have the nice smooth finished surface of mdf, especially for paint.
As usual, questions and comments welcomed.
Thanks for looking.