Greene and Greene Curio Cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by DynaBlue updated 08-09-2015 06:00 PM 5 parts 17180 reads 18 comments total

Part 1: The concept and initial work

05-03-2012 06:22 PM by DynaBlue | 4 comments »

A good friend of mine is getting married and part of the announcement included the locations they were gift registered at. I called him up and told him that I was happy for him but I wasn’t going to shop at some store for a gift and he should expect something I made for him. He had commissioned me to build him a cherry Morris chair and Ottoman in the past so I made some suggestions (coffee table, side table, headboard, etc) that would match his furniture. He thought about it for a bi...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Planning for cloud lifts

05-03-2012 11:05 PM by DynaBlue | 2 comments »

The Greene and Greene cloud lift is a detail that really stands out on this cabinet and makes it different than many of the other Arts & Crafts cases that I’ve seen. They really add a nice dimension to the cabinet and make it a stand out piece of furniture. That said, they are not the easiest things in the world to create so here is how I went about making them. You probably noticed in the picture that all the cloud lifts line up around the cabinet and misalignment will rea...

Read this entry »

Part 3: Making some sawdust (actually, lots)

05-04-2012 03:44 AM by DynaBlue | 2 comments »

So I went and bought my cherry, regretfully understanding that much of it will go to waste. I laid out my parts on the rough lumber and cut it out using my jigsaw then forming the parts in the standard fashion. Lots of wasted cherry..sigh. Why waste? Because I need to keep to the rift/quartersawn areas of the boards and have to sacrifice the cathedrals. Many of my pieces will be very long and narrow, some very thin and narrow..none of that lends itself to a board with questionable dimens...

Read this entry »

Part 4: Carcase glue up

05-14-2012 03:16 AM by DynaBlue | 4 comments »

I have been busy working on the cabinet, trying to make the most of the two weeks I took off work to get done as much as I could accomplish. The carcase has now been glued up, a process that consisted of several stages in order to simplify assembly. The stages I used were: (1) Cloud lifts; (2) Drilling shelf holes; (3) Carcase sides; (4) Door divider into front stretchers; (5) Web frame; (6) Final carcase glueup. Since I hand cut all the tenons there were inevitable small gaps wher...

Read this entry »

Part 5: The End

08-09-2015 06:00 PM by DynaBlue | 6 comments »

Okay..this project has become known amongst my friends as “The five-year cabinet”. Shortly after the last post my wife became sick and required two major surgeries before the end of the year. That pretty much forced this project to the far back burner for the remainder of the year. Then I started back in college at 46, going for a Biology degree and the amount of homework I’ve been doing was yet another nail in the coffin, so to speak, for getting this done in any kind of...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics