My First Hand Saw Overhaul #2: Breakdown Continued...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DylanC posted 01-19-2016 03:18 AM 586 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: The Breakdown Part 2 of My First Hand Saw Overhaul series Part 3: Picking my Teeth (or Selecting a Tooth Geometry) and File Types »

I got some shop time today and continued to work on these saws. All of the handles have been removed. The teeth on all four newer saws have been completely removed. The fifth (vintage) saw’s teeth were in better shape, but still had to be jointed to about half way down the tooth. This saw also had a link in the plate that I was also able to mostly remove. I cleaned the plates and adjusted the spines on each of the saws, also. Since these are going to be users and not display pieces, I didn’t get too crazy with the cleaning. Just remove the rust and crud. And just for kicks I took a file to one of the more hideous handles, knocking off the edges and smoothing things out a bit. Followed the file with some sandpaper to remove the ugly yellow finish. It feels much better now, but the BLO I wiped on didn’t do much for the color.

Next will be retoothing and sharpening, but there will be a few prerequisites that’ll have to happen first. To start with, I’ll need to come up with something to serve as a saw vice. By bench vise doesn’t have deep enough jaws to work well for this. Also, I’m going to have to get some saw files, but before that I’ll need to decide on a tooth geometry. Once I get all that figured out, I’ll start the rebuilding phase.

-- Dylan C ...Seems like all ever I make is sawdust...

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics