Since my last blog entry (something like 2 years ago) I’ve added a few new pieces of iron to the inventory. The first of which was a mid-1960s DeWalt radial arm saw.
I’m still in the process of cleaning this one up and rewiring it. Also need to modify my phase converter setup to run this one…it’s a 2 hp 3-phase model.
A bit more recent were three tools found at an estate sale earlier this summer.
A $10 Stanley Bailey No. 4 in near new condition.
A $10 quick release vise. Discussed in more detail here. As of right now I’ve disassembled and bead blasted the whole thing, primed and painted the castings, and put a coat of paste wax on the screw, slides, and other moving parts. I should have a pic of the “restored” vise pretty soon.
And also from this sale, a $70 5-speed Cal-Hawk drill press. It’s not top-of-the-line, but it is in great shape and has 3+ inches of spindle travel.
And my most recent and most needed purchase, a bandsaw. I had been browsing craigslist for weeks looking for a hidden gem when I cam across an ad for a “14 inch wood band saw” for $200. I contacted the guy to get a few more details and all he could tell me was it was a Rockwell. Went to take a look at it and I found a 1979 Delta-Rockwell 28-200. The table had a bit of surface rust, the motor was only 1/2 hp, and it had the open stand. The guy said he inherited it from his father and it had been sitting in his garage ever since. I offered him $160 and drove home with a new (to me) bandsaw. I don’t have any pictures yet, but it is in decent shape besides the surface rust on the table, which I cleaned up earlier tonight. Once I get it reassembled, I will post a pic or two. Probably be hunting for some good advice on tuning it up, also. If you know of any good tutorials, please pass them along. This is my first band saw and I will need a bit of help getting it cleaned up and dialed in.
-- Dylan C ...Seems like all ever I make is sawdust...