I’ve only sewn for a week now and getting this dog blind right was quite the challenge for a rookie like me. However, I eventually prevailed! My goal was to establish a good profile that would hold even after adding the Avery Killerweed.
The blind has a complex shape, so I did some modeling to establish a pattern.
I began with the actual material draped over the frame, but this wasn’t very helpful. Copper wasn’t too excited about getting into the blind at first.
I eventually got him in there.
I used a light tarp that was wrapped around my marine plywood delivery. I pinned the shape from the outside to experiment with what made good lines. I eventually used these pieces as rough patterns.
I designed the dog blind so that Copper can see clearly out the bow by looking over my shoulder. He has a marginal view through the mesh and brushing material. It’s a tight fit, but he settles down nicely.
I like Copper’s position safely behind me. NOTE: I removed the wire from the mesh in the flip blind door that helps hide my face. It was more of a bother than a benefit.
The drop into this blind from the rear deck isn’t the easiest even for a small dog like Copper. I made entry and exit easier by installing a zipper. The zipper also gives me access to the anchor pole slot and the anchor cleat. I can easily reach over the dog blind to access the buckles and the zipper.
I like the lines of the blind. Six buckles around the perimeter hold the mesh and help keep the blind’s shape. My head clears the front bar by about an inch.
View from stern.
Designing and sewing the blind was a pain, but the final product made the effort worthwhile. I need to sew my other flip blind door and then I’ll brush the boat.
In the next installment I’ll discuss brushing the boat with Avery Killer Weed.
-- Mark, Minnesota