It was enjoyable to launch the boat today! I loaded it with both of my decoy bags full (35 pounds each) and a bag with 50 pounds of weight to simulate Copper. I didn’t feel like dealing with him during my first outing in the boat…
Here I am rowing out from the dock. With my typical hunting load, the boat was a little stern heavy like I hoped. This should help clear waves without being too bow high.
It rowed well.
I wrapped the oars in leather and built up the end nearest the handle with 1/2” wide leather to form the “button.” This helps keep the oar from slipping through the oar lock. I made my oar shafts a smaller diameter than the plan and unfortunately there wasn’t enough leather in the leather kit (a little disappointed with Chesapeake Light Craft on this one) to build the button to the required 1/2” height and the oars constantly slipped through the oar locks. I ordered more leather from Tandy Leather and the oars will be back in service by the weekend.
The boat push poled easily. In this photo I’m standing on the rear deck to try out the non-skid additive (it works well.) The bow is higher with me standing on the deck, but the boat is still very manageable.
I’m thinking this boat will move fairly easily through thick vegetation.
The Kara Hummer handles as I anticipated. It sits low in the water, holds a good line while rowing, paddling or push poling, is very stable, and has just enough storage in the cockpit for the gear I typically take out to the duck marsh.
My brother and nephew tried it out today as well. He brought his lab and did some retrieves from the boat in the lake. His lab was able to jump into the water and be hauled back into the boat without a lot of rocking. They were both pleased with the Kara Hummer’s performance…good thing since we’ve already started the next two boats!
In the next installment I’ll discuss building a boat cart and modifying my utility trailer for solo boat launch and recovery.
-- Mark, Minnesota