Construction is complete and I moved the boat to the garage in preparation for painting. Oil-based paints put off some nasty fumes, so the garage was the safest location. I painted the bottom with some extra paint I had left from some annual kayak repairs/maintenance. I painted the top with primer and flat duck boat paint.
The ducks don’t see the bottom, so I used Interlux Brightsides paint (Sea Green) to provide a smoother coat against the water. I have two wood kayaks painted with this, so I can touch up all three boats with the same paint. I’ve used this paint for years and it produces good results for an amateur like me.
I taped an edge below the water line to minimize the chances of flashing the ducks with this glossy paint.
I also taped the runners since the paint will get scraped off these anyways.
I must have had some silicone contamination when I attached the runners. I’ll sand that area, wash with a strong solvent, and recoat when I do the first maintenance coat.
I’m trying out Parker Coatings duck paint for the first time. Their prices were reasonable and they shipped it quickly. The first coat is their primer. This goes on rather thick compared to the actual paint.
I cut these foam rollers in half and they laid down both the primer and the paint well.
All the nooks and crannies are primed.
I scuffed the handles and primed them also. If this doesn’t hold up, I’ll try camouflage duct tape.
I’m using Parker Coatings Hunter Green paint as the final top coat. This is a flat paint when dried.
I applied the primer to the interior while standing outside the boat. I was unable to reach into the furthest corners of the floor reliably. So, I laid on the boat floor to apply the paint to the interior and it worked much better.
Amazing how the green paint makes this look like a duck hunting boat!
The boat is still shiny in these photos since the paint is still wet.
I added Interlux Intergrip non-skid deck compound to the entire walking surface of the deck. This photo shows the textured effect of the Intergrip. I mixed this into the paint, allowed to soak 20 minutes, and applied with a roller after the rest of the boat had been painted. I’m hoping this will provide more grip for those occasions I’ve got a foot out on the deck like helping Copper back in the boat after a retrieve or landing a lunker northern pike with my fly rod!
In the next installment I’ll discuss building wood oars from Chesapeake Light Craft plans.
-- Mark, Minnesota