A friend asked me to make a humidor for him after seeing some of my other projects. Having never made one, of course I said yes.
Started off with a simple rabbit joint for the box frame.
Added some maple trim on the corners and brought it down flush with my no.5 1/2
Added a walnut ply in a rabbit to the top and bottom
Next up the top and bottom caps at 3/8” thick
This walnut crotch is from a 4/4 chunk that I book matched to give it a subtle nod to a tobacco leaf.
I did not have enough length to cover the whole top and bottom (dumb mistake). Next time I will cover the entire surface then cut the rabbit so I have a perfect 90 on all corners. When I clamped the book match, it shifted ever so slightly.
Added more maple trim to the bottom, and I had just enough curly maple for the top. This is where not having the perfect rabbit on the top caused some issues the miter joints were ever so slightly off.
Cutting the lid off was scary after putting all that work in. I used the table saw and made my cut leaving about 1/16” all the way around. I finished the cut with a hand saw.
I wanted to use nice hidden hinges but it wasn’t in the budget.
I pre drilled all the holes for the hinge screws and the bottom ones all went in well. I got the 4 top screws in half way then 2 heads broke off. I went to back out the other ones and they stripped. Well shoot that isn’t good! I drilled out the stripped screws and went to bed.
Next day I drilled out the mess and used a plug cutter to make some walnut plugs.
Starting on the Spanish Cedar liner tomorrow.
If you have any questions or comments I’ll do my best to answer them!