LumberJocks

The "What am I doing?" Holtzapffel Workbench #8: Leg lamination lament

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DragonLady posted 03-21-2010 04:58 AM 1892 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: Dealing with tear out Part 8 of The "What am I doing?" Holtzapffel Workbench series Part 9: One Leg down! »

Made good progress on my bench today, despite the ache in my hands (whole body, really) from this nasty return of winter.

Did a light sanding of the top, and filled the tearouts with wood filler. If someone asks me what my bench top is made of, I’d have to answer “wood putty, mostly!” :) hahaha! Nah, not that bad. Had my boyfriend help me flip it over (definitely not a one person job!). Then I did a quick job on it with the scrub plane. Not looking to get this fancy, just wanted to get it to gentle hills instead of soaring mountains of wood. It’s the bottom. Not going to be looking/working on the bottom! I did a little extra work around the areas where the leg mortises are going to be.

Already coming in very useful as a bench!
legs 006
Then, since I have to wait for the wood putty to dry before I can continue sanding (that, and my helper wasn’t available to help me flip it again) I started on the legs for this monster. You can be sure I was VERY careful about the grain orientation on this part, after the fiasco with the top. My first leg lamination went very well.

Legs are made of a 2×6x8’, with the edges planed down to get that stupid radiused edge off. First board ended up being about 5 1/4” wide when I was done. I cut it into 3 sections of 32” and glued those together.
legs 001

Turned out very well. It won’t take much to get that leg ready.

Then moved on to the next board. Planed the edges, cut the sections, started to glue…

Noticed that the board is cupped. Well, clamps will fix that, right? Right?

legs 003

I was tightening and heard cracking. “oh, that can’t be good” tighten a little more….little more….

POW!

whoops! The stress had to go somewhere!

So my second leg didn’t survive the process. Which is ok. I have to go get more wood anyway, because my on-the-fly mental math a month ago was shoddy, and somehow, I’m short some boards. Only had enough 6 wide to do two legs! A bench with two legs isn’t very useful…

And I need more glue!

-- A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com