I’ve been able to fit all the tenons (104 of them) into their respective mortises. Most are rounded over from the router only the mortises on the back upper arch are square from the hollow chisel mortiser (since I couldn’t get the 2” depth from my router). The mortises on the side and front top arches have been ‘deepened’ by a forstner bit in the drill press following the initial router mortise. Worked out well.
I was fairly happy with the arched tenon jig which I intended to follow the curve of the arches. I was very careful lining up the 2 halves and screwed them together with offcuts of spindles to get an exact fit, unfortunately they shift a little and not all my shoulders lined up, so I had some hand trimming to do.
I used the table top edge bit to give the spindles a ‘sloped’ front face. it worked ok, I had a little trouble keeping the spindle once one side was profiled square to the router fence to get a precise profile on both sides. So there was some wiggle which resulted in a wavy cut, which I cleaned up by hand with a block plane and sanding block.
Here are the spindles all sanded and ends taped for pre-finshing. I’ve got some more rounding and sanding on the main frame members tonight and hope to get this all assembled by end of the week, I hope…
The Mahogany liked to chip and being this is for a child I needed a way to fix the chips without digging into the wood for a smooth surface. So I used West marine 2 part epoxy to fill chips and used blue painters tape over top to ‘conform’ the filler to the spindle. Also used it to fill a knot in the lower back rail.
-- "Do it right the first time, you'll just kick yourself later..."