When I first set up my shop, I bought a Delta 50-760 DC. It works well enough, but when jointing and planing a lot of wood the plastic bag fills up fairly rapidly and it is a PAIN to take off, empty and then re-install. Once you get the hang of it, the process is easier but it’s never easy and it almost inevitably ends up with a bunch of saw dust all over.
So I decide to invest in a Oneida Super Dust Deputy. By the time I got it, I had realized that the fact that the Delta was mobile was no real advantage. This is a more general realization I had about my shop layout. I made sure everything (except the lumber rack ;-) was mobile, thinking that would give me a lot of flexibility. In fact that flexibility wasn’t needed – what was needed was that the various items could be moved into POSITION because there were standard configurations of the tables, machines, etc. that I need to be able to have. But mobility per se wasn’t required. And this included the DC.
So I decided to de-mobilize the DC and mount it on the wall. This would also allow me to make it higher and put the Dust Deputy underneath it. So I made a french-cleated panel and mounted 2 large heavy arms on the panel. The DC mounted easily onto the arms and I was in business. The top of the 1 micron bag touches the guide rail for the garage door but doesn’t affect the functioning of the door or the DC so that’s cool.
I then took the 5” wye that came with the DC and mounted two Lee Valley aluminum blast gates on it and I was in business. Here’s what the result looked like:
The problem with that was that the whole thing was unsteady and hence hard to switch the 4” hoses on and off the blast gates. So I looked at it again and came up with a new design. This consisted of mounting another french cleated panel to the right of the Dust Deputy. On that panel I mounted a blast gate manifold built from PVC connectors . Turns out that the 4” ID Wye in PVC (Schedule 40) has a 5” outside diameter – perfect to mate with the Dust Deputy’s input. And the 4” PVC (schedule 40) pipe has an OD of 4.5” but an ID of 3.98” – a near-perfect match for 4” Lee Valley blast gates.
So here’s how I constructed the blast gate manifold:
First I glued up the fittings together. Note that one end hooks to the Dust Deputy’s input. The other end is a standard 4” cap. But there is a 4” pipe that is long enough that the cap can be cut off and the pipe extended for DC use elsewhere in the shop (like my bandsaw when I get it…).
I used 2” PVC pipe sawn in half to create “feet” for the manifold so it was very solid when mounted on the panel.
The blast gates were made so they could be mounted so I created mounts with 1/2” MDF. I cut the holes with a jigsaw but in retrospect I should have bought a 4” circle cutter. Just neater and a better fit.
The only real flaw of the blast gates is that they have these useless screws to hold the gate in place. However, the screw’s position is such that it is almost impossible to get a hose on onto the flange. Worse, you can’t mount the gate onto a flat surface due to the screw’s protrusion. So I just sawed it off.
To hold the manifold on the panel I drilled 6 holes through the panel and ran 6” hose clamps around the manifold and the back of the panel. Had to recess the clamp so the french cleat sat properly. But when all cranked down the manifold is held to the panel with great force.
The resulting manifold and panel.
I then mounted the panel with manifold on the wall. It tended to slide on the cleat when fastening and unfastening the hoses, so I ran a pair of 4” lag bolts through the bottom of the panel and into a stud. The result is solid as a rock.
I then hooked up the manifold to the Dust Deputy. One of the gates goes to my jointer, which sits unmoving for the most of the time. Then I switch the hose from my planer or tablesaw as needed to the other blast gate. Since the planer and table saw have to move around to let me park my car in the garage when it snows, there’s no need to have them hooked up semi-permanently.
BTW, the blast gate sliders have enough friction such that they almost stay in place without help, so I don’t need the useless set- screws. I just use a clothespin clipped to the closed gate to ensure the slider doesn’t move.
So it’s all done and working great. However, it does take up more wall and floor-level space than I would like, but that’s OK. The next DC improvement will be to move the DC and Deputy to the other side of the wall, running the input to the Dust Deputy right through the wall using 4” PVC which will mate directly to the manifold. That will save space as well as reducing the noise from the DC. As the DC and the manifold are mounted by french cleats it is an easy process. And I can raise the DC higher (the garage has 11’ ceilings) and the blast gate too freeing up more space at floor level.
-- Ric, Northern Illinois, "Design thrice, measure twice, cut once... slap forehead, start over"