LumberJocks

New State, New Shop #10: Clamp Rack

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DrPuk2U posted 659 days ago 2068 reads 9 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 9: On Yer Feet! Part 10 of New State, New Shop series Part 11: Holtzapfffel End Game »

I haven’t been blogging much lately – too busy. But I have made progress on the shop as you will see if you read this and the next blog

I got tired of tripping over my clamps and having them all over the shop. I saw a couple of clamp racks on the web that looked good. Initially, I was going to go with one that was very simple but used a fair amount of wall space. Then I saw one that Stumpy Nubs created. I thought the general idea was good, so I copied his. Actually, I bought the plans for his but there was some sort of delay in sending me the plans so by the time I got them I had already built mine – twice.

The primary change I made was to use 3/4” plywood instead of pine which allowed me to skip all the support members. The one tricky part was making all those cuts for the slots for the bars of the clamps. I remembered seeing a trick someone used to repeat a pattern and I used that. I just drilled a hole in my cross-cut sled whose distance from the blade was the distance from one side of a gap to the same edge on the next gap. Then I just had to cut the first cut in the right place, put the drill bit in the hole I had drilled and kept shifting the board so the drill acted as a template-positioner in the slot just cut. Worked great and was quick.

I don’t have a bandsaw so I had to do this on the table saw, cut most of the slot, then drilled the end of the slot with a 1/2” Forstner bit. Worked pretty well, but would have been neater with a bandsaw…

Typical of my motto, when I finished and assembled the clamp racks I realized that I had made them significantly deeper than they needed to be, 7” instead of 4 1/2”. So I just cut the boxes down in size. Much better. THEN I realized that I hadn’t allowed for the thickness of the top and bottom pieces on the box and the boxes were about 5/8” taller than my clamps. Oops. Disassemble the boxes again and a quick trip tp the tablesaw and fixed.

Then I created a pattern for the hinges and used a pattern-template bit to rout out the hinges. Assembled the whole shebang and wiped some varathane on it and hung it with a French cleat. I made the spacer at the bottom against the wall 1/4” thicker than the cleat so it leans back a tad and keeps the doors closed.

Looks good, if I do say so myself and works great.

-- Ric, N. Illinois "Design thrice, measure twice, cut once... slap forehead, start over"



3 comments so far

View Peteyb's profile

Peteyb

106 posts in 1182 days


#1 posted 659 days ago

Good job! I have been needing to build one of these. Can you give some dimensions.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

1060 posts in 942 days


#2 posted 658 days ago

When I built mine, I followed the Stumpy Idea and cut it out of pine … with all of the support pieces … I made mine to hold 15 clamps to each box, it’s a bit heavy and the BORG pine twisted and warped something awful.
Ever try to make a square box out of propellers?? Well the Smallest door sags, but when I build the new shop (in 2013) I will redo this using plywood as you did.
Looks like your shop is comming along very well.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

3467 posts in 817 days


#3 posted 658 days ago

excellent job

-- Marty.Athens,AL

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase