Making one of the back supports. The back gets deeper as it goes up, and I cut dadoes to capture the back slats and help even up the spacing. After the steam-bending, the slats are not entirely straight side-to-side. The flat side of this support gets shaped to a curve after it is dadoed and the peg holes are drilled.
The back slats attached to their supports. The bottom (far) support is heftier; it attaches to the legs with a single peg on each side so that it can pivot. This layout is a bit of a nightmare because the back slats splay out. Rather than try to get it exactly correct, I attached each slat at the bottom rail with a single dowel so that they could pivot. That let me position them into the upper support and use two pegs there. (To match that design detail in the seat.)
Gluing up the back slats. The bottom support is done first, then the upper support. There’s enough space to slide clamps in between the back supports to glue the upper support. Keeping this square was a challenge.
Hey, I used up a can of linseed oil. That only took about ten years.
Once I got the back glue-up finished, I cut out and shaped the arms. These need to be bent before the compass roses are inlaid.