Started off today by working on the two compass roses. I laid out the roses on the glued-up blanks and started cutting them out:
This makes interesting sawdust—a mix of walnut and holly. After lots of cutting and fitting, it was ready to glue up the secondary points:
My technique is to put blue tape on the back of the rose, glue in the points, and cover them with blue tape on the front. This is sufficient to get a tight joint, and since the rose isn’t structural the lack of strength isn’t an issue. All the cutting and paring and fitting is pretty hard on the eyes, so I just did one of the two roses today.
I also started installing the seat slats. I made a couple of quick jigs to help with this:
The jig in the front clamps to the seat stretcher and registers the front of the seat slat so that they’ll be consistently placed. The second jig drops down over the stretcher to the side of the slat and locates the two pegs that will hold the slat to the stretcher. This jig is parallel to the stretcher (not the slat) and centers the two pegs in the stretcher. This jig is reversible, so I can work from both sides in to the middle. I’ll have to place the pegs by hand in the last stretcher.
However, I can only do two stretchers at a time (one to either side) since I can’t work on the next pair until the glue has set on the first pair. So it’s going to take a few days to install all the stretchers.