LumberJocks

Built-In Bed #14: Drawer Fronts

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Scott R. Turner posted 01-19-2011 04:55 AM 3770 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 13: Drawers & Fronts Part 14 of Built-In Bed series no next part

(The Story So Far: Our Hero is constructing a built-in bed for his daughter, with inadequate tools and woodworking experience. He has recently moved on to the drawer-building phase.)

Over the weekend I found time to install the top two drawers into the bookcase ends of the built-in. I used these drawer slides from Woodworker’s Hardware, and I can recommend them to anyone looking for cheaper but well-made drawer slides. As far as I can tell, these are identical to the much more expensive “Accuride” drawer slides. And they’re about 1/4 the price.

I did learn an important lesson: if you’re going to build a piece of furniture that will require you to get inside of it to install drawers, make the piece more than 16 inches wide :-). I did manage to wedge myself in backwards and upside down and contorted in all sorts of ways to do the installation, but it was a tiring few hours!

Come to think of it, I learned another important lesson. But I’ll need a photo I don’t have to illustrate that lesson, so maybe next time.

The drawers installed, I moved on to making the drawer fronts. The drawer fronts consist of a routed molding mounted on a face plate. In the last blog entry I’d assembled a prototype of the molding, so now I routed out an ogee and put a backing plate onto it to see how the design looked:

I was pretty happy with how it turned out, and so was the client and Madame President. I did decide that the ogee I had was a bit small, and I ended up using a bigger cove and bead bit.

So it was time for a production run of drawer front moldings. First I roughed out the end pieces with a jigsaw.

Then I put the template on each end piece in turn and routed it to the pattern and then rough sanded the transitions.

Then I glued up the end pieces with the rails (using dowels), and when they had dried, cleaned them up with handplanes and a sander:

Finally I put the cove & bead bit on the router and (using numerous passes) cut the decorative edge to the moldings:

And that’s where I left off for the evening. Next up I need to cut the face plates to put behind the moldings, glue it up and then paint them to match the bookcase ends.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase