Built-In Bed #3: All These Sandwiches Are Making Me Hungry

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Scott R. Turner posted 11-12-2010 02:44 AM 3987 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: SUDO: Make Me a Sandwich Part 3 of Built-In Bed series Part 4: Scraping By »

With one large panel built-up (if not finished), I moved on to the other panel of the same end. This is essentially just a 24”x96” bookshelf side, although like the large panel it is made up of a sandwich of two 1/2” sheets of birch-sided plywood with 1/2” plywood spacers in between. This shows what the sandwich looked like just before gluing on the second face:

I fastened the second face of the large panel on with screws through the face. For this one I decided to see if I could simply glue it on and weight it down. I slathered on the glue, mated the faces, and then taped all the corners with masking tape hoping to keep them from sliding out of alignment when I piled on the weight. Then I put the rest of the plywood as well as the large panel on top and left it to dry overnight.

While the glue was drying I zipped down to the workshop and put in some time on the “other” ongoing project:

Meanwhile, the large panel needed to have the numerous screw holes spackled so that it could be sanded and painted. Here I enlisted the customer for some “sweat equity” and put her to work spackling up the numerous holes. We’re using the keen new spackle that goes on pink and dries white. Science is wonderful.

When the glue-up had dried on the other panel I unweighted it and took a look to see how it had worked out. The good news was that the panel hadn’t slipped and was lined up very nicely. The bad news was that the glue-up wasn’t very even—in a number of spots there was about a 1/16” gap:

I’m not too worried about gapping this small, because the only edge is going to be faced with 1×2, which is slightly oversized for the edge and will cover any gap. So I ran the circular saw down the glued-up edge to get a nice even surface and glued on the face:

Interestingly, I took the tape measure to both panels and it appears that the smaller panel is slightly undersized to the large panel (about 23 3/4” wide instead of the intended 24” wide). Cutting the larger panel down to match the smaller panel will give me a nice edge for veneering I’m going to do on that piece, and make things match up exactly, but it will require me to rework the knee curve. I’m going to have to do some work on the knee curve anyway, so I think I’ll do this. But that’s a job for tomorrow.

1 comment so far

View sras's profile


4363 posts in 2550 days

#1 posted 11-12-2010 04:27 AM

Progressing along nicely – nice to see the “customer” getting involved!

-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics