It’s been hard to get any long stretches in the workshop lately, but when I look back I’ve actually accomplished quite a bit. After bending the arms for the chair, the next step was to inlay the compass roses. (In retrospect, I mig...
|View Scott R. Turner's:||home||workshop||projects (11)||blog (30)||reviews (0)||forum topics (4)||buddies (0)||favorites (39)||activity log|
None so far
232 posts in 1687 days
Location: Reston, VA
Latest Activity | view all »
|commented on||Steam bent walnut dining chairs||5 days ago|
|commented on||Adirondack Mash-Up||13 days ago|
|commented on||Sprig of oak leaves.||30 days ago|
|commented on||Carved Sunflower Mahogany Picture Frame||32 days ago|
|commented on||The Sawcliffe Green man #2: The Sawcliffe Green man #2||33 days ago|
|commented on||Little Free Library||44 days ago|
|commented on||Boy Scout Crossover bridge||51 days ago|
|commented on||Saint Sava||51 days ago|
|commented on||Twist-o-Shaker||51 days ago|
|commented on||Drill charging station||51 days ago|
|commented on||Cherry Refreshment Table||52 days ago|
|commented on||Heart Shaped Steampunk Bandsaw Box||55 days ago|
|commented on||Hands down my favorite project of all time!!||58 days ago|
|commented on||Dragoncarved portal in a family style.||58 days ago|
|commented on||Adventures in Working Wood #4: Bought some lumber and started some projects||58 days ago|
Latest Projects | view all 11 »
Latest Blog Entries | view all 30 »
Redryder asked about the steam-bending process. I’ve covered that a little bit earlier in the series, but I bent the arms (well, one so far) today, so I took some photos along the way. Here’s the basic set-up. The box is made ...
Making one of the back supports. The back gets deeper as it goes up, and I cut dadoes to capture the back slats and help even up the spacing. After the steam-bending, the slats are not entirely straight side-to-side. The flat side of this s...
Seats slats have been attached with maple pegs, and everything dyed and given a coat of linseed oil. Compass stars from layout to inlay.
Started off today by working on the two compass roses. I laid out the roses on the glued-up blanks and started cutting them out: This makes interesting sawdust—a mix of walnut and holly. After lots of cutting and fitting, it was rea...