Mantle Clock Project

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by DrJosh updated 1186 days ago 4 parts 6188 reads 2 comments total

Part 1: The lumber

1209 days ago by DrJosh | 1 comment »

Well, it has been quite a while since I’ve posted anything here on Lumberjocks and, sadly, that is because I haven’t been in my shop. But now the semester is over and I just about have my student’s grades completed and ready to post, so I can now get back in the shop and make some sawdust. My parent’s 50th anniversary is coming up and my sister is planning a big celebration back home. My wife suggested that I make them something nice for an anniversary gift. She sugges...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Getting Started...

1195 days ago by DrJosh | 1 comment »

In my last post on this mantle clock project, I mentioned a new wood that I discovered at my local Woodcraft store…sipo utile. Here is how it looked when I started:This wood mills and works like a dream. Last weekend, I spent the afternoon milling the rough stock down to 5/8” thickness. I left it stacked and stickered in my garage shop for a week to aclimate.I was finally able to get out to the shop to start cutting the parts for my clock. After an enjoyable afternoon in the shop,...

Read this entry »

Part 3: Carcase completed

1190 days ago by DrJosh | 0 comments »

After an enjoyable weekend of work, I was able to get the basic carcase of my mantle clock. I did all the joinery (rabbit joints) with my router table. Simple chamfers decorate the edges of the top and bottom caps as well as provide a shadow line (to hide any slight imperfections) at the top and bottom of the carcase where it is joined to the top and bottom caps. I used a card scraper for the first time on this project for surface prep and I love it. After a good scraping, I was able to start...

Read this entry »

Part 4: Finished!

1186 days ago by DrJosh | 0 comments »

I have now completed my first clock project and applied the finish to it. It’s ready to present to my parents for the 50th wedding anniversary! I used a very non-traditional way to attach the back to the clock case…magnets! Since I’m still not very good with hinge morticing, especially with tiny brass hinges for projects like this, and I didn’t want to risk screwing anything up, I opted for someting that was easier for me to do and was a little unique. I bought a packa...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase