In my last post on this mantle clock project, I mentioned a new wood that I discovered at my local Woodcraft store…sipo utile. Here is how it looked when I started:
This wood mills and works like a dream. Last weekend, I spent the afternoon milling the rough stock down to 5/8” thickness. I left it stacked and stickered in my garage shop for a week to aclimate.
I was finally able to get out to the shop to start cutting the parts for my clock. After an enjoyable afternoon in the shop, I have all my major parts cut and the rabbets for the joinery done.
Tomorrow afternoon I’ll be doing some initial scraping and sanding the parts and hopefully some assembly of the clock case. Stay tuned…more to come.
-- Josh....in Nashville, TN