Well after a long hiatus since my last blog post, I have made a lot of progress. It has been a long, sweltering, uncommonly hot summer here in Nashville, TN with temps in the 100 degree range with heat indexes of 105-110 degrees. Working in an open-air, non-climate controlled garage shop made it almost unhealthy to work on any project for long periods of time. And now that my semester has resumed at the university and my teaching duties are running full-steam ahead, I haven’t had much time to work in the shop. Now that I have aired all of my excuses, I have finished my new workbench to a functional point. I constructed the top from 2 layers of birch plywood with a hardboard skin and edged with solid pine.
I still plan to dril some holes for dogs/hold-downs in the top and front apron. I also plan to put a very simple vice on the left front of the bench. In order to do that, I’ll need to find some time to lay out the position of the holes and mount hardware for the vice. I have some leftover southern yellow pine that I’ll laminate a few pieces together to make a nice tick chop for the front vice jaw. In case anyone wonders, the type of vice that I’ll attempt to mount will be a similar to the one show on the classic Nicholson bench:
Its not quite as finihed as I want it, but it is a funtional workbench and I will get the rest of the items done as soon as my teaching schedule allows me to get for shop time. And pretty soon, it will be time to start building Christmas presents.
-- Josh....in Nashville, TN