We have over 100 members now as we start the 3rd month of our group.
We are a MeetUp Group formed to Promote the Art of Woodworking in NE Ohio. We have experienced member and members who are just starting out in woodworking. This is a perfect blend as one of our goals is to mentor the newer members and guide them into starting a great hobby.
Other activities that we are planning are:
1) YouTube-like “Woodworking Shop Tours”. We will try to make decent productions with a decent HD Video Camera and good microphones. Look some up on YouTube – they are cool to watch most of the time.
2) Projects that are specifically designed to be made with a minimal investment in tools… like a Wall Unit made with just a used Circular Saw – new blade – and panel cutting guide, a Saw Horse kit, a Miter Box and Saw, a Cordless Drill and some bits, and some Clamps and Glue… and a few other items.
3) Group buys of Hardwood directly from mills – take orders – rent a panel truck – drive a few counties away (southwest of here) and buy rough sawn or planed hardwoods (Oak, Walnut, Maple, Poplar) – deliver to members.
4) Hold SketchUp classes for Woodworking – various topics from designing a shop to building projects.
5) Swap Meets – trade tools that you no longer use for tools that you could use… and donate some tools to beginners. I can’t imagine having to buy my shop now as it’s a lifetime of accumulation. Getting into the art of Woodworking is not easy for beginners… so let’s make it easier.
6) Attend Woodworking Trade Shows – carpool
7) social Events to “Talk Shop”
We anticipate having hundreds more members in the next few months.
-- Drew - NE Ohio