Our MeetUp Group for WOODWORKERS in NE Ohio has grown to over 70 members now. This is a group for Ladies and Men… and for anyone interested in Woodworking.
We have held a couple of “SketchUp for Woodworking” classes so far in the Downtown Akron-Summit County Public Library… with many SketchUp classes also scheduled. state-of-the-art Akron-Summit County Public Library. Sketchup has been installed on all PCs… so you do not need to bring a PC or tablet (bring a USB Drive to take home some work).
1) Intro Class – SketchUp for Woodworking
2) SketchUp for Woodworking – Design the Samurai Workbench
This is a loose design of the Samurai Workbench on YouTube… however it is not dimensionally accurate… and anyone wishing to build this design should purchase the plans from the YouTube link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCuvdv8FO54 11 minutes well spent if you have not seen this video.
UPCOMING Classes (Register by first joining the MeetUp Group):
April 23 – 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
SketchUp for Woodworking – Basics Class & Samurai Workbench Part II Class
May 7th – 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
SketchUp for Woodworking – Design a Sawdust Collection Enclosure for Miter Saws
May 14th – 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
SketchUp for Woodworking – Basic Functions & The SketchUp Extension Warehouse
We will have many more activities as the membership grows… including the following:
• Promoting the ART of WOODWORKING
• Building or Expanding or Updating a Woodworking Shop
• Designing Woodworking Projects – by yourself to share – or to get Expert Opinions from others
• Designing Low-Cost Woodworking Projects for newcomers with minimal investment in tools (so that they can con their spouses into thinking that Woodworking is an inexpensive hobby)
• Acquiring Woodworking Machines, Power Tools and Hand Tools
• Designing or Updating a Sawdust Collection System
• Pooling Resources to Buy Materials ( maybe sharing the cost of a rental truck )
• Woodworking (YouTube-like) Shop Tours, at our members Woodworking Shops (and maybe Professional Cabinet Shops to see new technology).
• Collaborating Ideas and Projects
• Hold Woodworking Training Classes where experts share expertise with beginners
• SketchUp classes for new members as the membership grows
• Social events to “talk wood”.
All skills levels are welcome… from Beginners… to Home Hobbyists… to Pros who make a living from Woodworking. We started this group to meet other Woodworking enthusiasts and explore the world of Hand Made products from Wood. We will also have Social Only meetings… probably over a Micro Brew and Dinner… to discuss all things wood and sawdust… and maybe social gatherings with other local MeetUp Groups.
For details – see: http://www.meetup.com/NE-Ohio-Woodworking-Meetup/
—Drew – NE Ohio
-- Drew - NE Ohio