Well – as one can expect, there are always some unanticipated setbacks.
Started off this morning, to glue the back together. First I carved grooves in the dowels, so that there would not be a problem with the dowel holes filling with glue and the back not coming together.
I double checked the depths, and felt the 2 inch dowels I had cut might be long, so I trimmed them down by 1/8th inch. What I found… is I didn’t go far enough!!, so with hot glue spread, and the assembly coming together in the clamps, the crest rail to leg joint, wouldn’t close up.
So after a long session of streaming profanity – out came the steam wand again and spreader clamps again. Apparently the measure twice isn’t good enough if you don’t consider that the dowel holes are deeper in the center than at the edge of the holes:
So after getting the joints reopened – and scrubbing the glue away with a piece of abralon pad in hot water, then cutting the dowels with a dozuki.
I got the glue reheated to 140-150 F.
I brushed the glue on and got it all together, before the glue set up.
I also took a couple of scrap blocks and glued them with this glue, to be sure that the glue is holding well.
Since there was plenty of time and 10 joints, for the next batch of glue, I will cut the Urea content down to 7.5% from current 15%.
So I have to say I am liking the reversibility of the hide glue… that it glues to itself well, especially in all those dowel holes that were brushed with glue this morning.
-- “The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic.” ― H.L. Mencken, Minority Report