LumberJocks

Handplane Treasure Trove #2: The first couple of planes re-furbished

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DouginVa posted 499 days ago 871 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Craigslist find Part 2 of Handplane Treasure Trove series no next part

So I got to work on some of the #4s from my treasure box. Below is a Dunlap #4. Not a particularly nice plane and it didn’t have a “major rust” problem. But there was some rust and plenty of grime. The iron looked like it had been used to open paint cans and drive screws.


That’s paint on the sole of the plane.

So everything got a dip in to an electrolysis bath, some scrubing with a wire wheel on a drill press, some scoth brite pads after the bath, sole lapping, and sharpening. I also flattened the chip breaker so it would sit flush with the iron. The sole of the plane had a weird twist to it, like it had warped. The initial strokes left a diagonal line across the sole from the scratch pattern from the sand paper that revealed freshly sanded metal and the metal that had not been touched by the sandpaper.

This was the first plane I’ve had that did that. Most have a hollowed out center, from years of use I suspect, but never a diagonal twist. Anyway, after a little extra work I got it all flat. The the sides were lapped to make it mostly flat. Finally all parts were sprayed with Top Coat to protect them from rust until a new buyer comes along.

These Dunlap planes don’t perform as well as Stanley. I took it for a test ride of a piece of red oak with the grain direction changing along the length of the board. You do feel a little bit of chatter while planing. but it still does a decent job with a good sharp iron.

The end result:

Next up….some of the block planes.

-- Just a man with his chisel.........



4 comments so far

View studie's profile

studie

618 posts in 1734 days


#1 posted 499 days ago

Nice work Doug! It looks like you painted the inside of the body too. What did you finish the wood with?

-- $tudie

View DouginVa's profile

DouginVa

486 posts in 860 days


#2 posted 499 days ago

Didn’t paint the body, just cleaned it real well. The tote and knob were sanded down to bare wood…the shellac or laquer that was on it originally was real thick and most had flaked off. I stained it with a dark stain, oiled it, then a thin coat of urethane. I’ve had better results on wood on previous plane re-furbs but considering the condition of this wood I’m satisfied.

-- Just a man with his chisel.........

View Ron Harper's profile

Ron Harper

132 posts in 503 days


#3 posted 499 days ago

Lookin good. I love my 4 s

-- Ron in Kokomo

View studie's profile

studie

618 posts in 1734 days


#4 posted 499 days ago

Teak oil over Minwax stain is what I used on my last planes, for the wood parts anyway but I may go to wipe on poly from now on as 8 coats of teak oil = 2 coats of wipe on poly. Teak oil may be more flexible tho, easier to touch up.

-- $tudie

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase