The top is on and the end supports for the flip-up wing are in place…
I also added a footrest (as you can see in the picture above) since the owner intends to sit at the worktable sometimes.
The caster jacks gave me trouble all the way to the end – until I realized that the lift-jack simplifies and fixes everything (<<< turn your speakers up – the volume on this is pretty poor. Sorry – it was shot with my iPhone.)
I edged the tabletop and flip-up wing with oak trim. The trim is mounted 1/8” proud to allow the sacrifical masonite top to sit down flush with the top edge of the trim pieces. I ran into a little “gotcha” with builder’s math on this trim… With the flip-up wing, the table top is 96” x 48”, so I bought three 8’ lengths of oak trim. One 8’ length for the front, another for the back, and one to be cut in half to trim out each side. (Sounds logical, right? Wrong.) Problem is, the trim is a 1/4” thick, so the side pieces (with miters) have to be 48 1/2” long! But wait – good news! I was relieved when I measured the trim pieces and found them to be 97” long. That didn’t save my bacon, though. The piece had to be cut in half (so I lose 1/8” to the kerf) then each of those pieces had to be cut into a 1’ length and a 3’ length. (Actually 12 1/4” and 36 1/4”). Fortunately I realized all this before making the first cut on this piece of trim, so I got all the pieces out of it but the last 12 1/4” piece. Moral of the story: don’t forget to add the thickness of the trim when calculating the length of mitered trim pieces.
Although I do still have a couple of minor things to do before it’s truly finished, this will be my last blog post on this and I’ll now be posting it as my first completed Lumberjocks project. WOOT!
-- Founding member of the (un)Official LumberJock's Frugal Woodworking Society - http://lumberjocks.com/topics/29451