Mobile Worktable #3: Scenes from the project in-progress (part 2)

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DonnyBahama posted 07-12-2011 07:10 PM 1906 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Scenes from the project in-progress (part 1) Part 3 of Mobile Worktable series Part 4: Scenes from the project in-progress (part 4) »

I didn’t get a lot done yesterday; I got there late (had a personal fire to put out) and Nick likes to close up shop at dinner time. (He worries about the noise bothering the neighbors.)

It took me ages to find the high spots on the phenolic zero-clearance insert. (The one that’s custom made by Grizzly for this specific saw model!!!) I’ve always made my own in the past (and will in the future!) but this one was on hand, so I gave it a shot. Needless to say, I do NOT recommend it! The saw makes a nasty sound as you raise the blade up into the phenolic material. Made me uncomfortable.

Once I got the dado head setup, my test dado came out nice & tight.

I was working with 80” workpieces, so I set up a couple of roller stands with a 2×4 bridge to support the dangling end.

The plywood had some bow to it, so I needed a good, safe way to keep it pressed flat against the table while cutting. I made a push block from a scrap of 2×4 by running it over the dado head (using the miter gauge) until there was just a small tab at each end. Then I cut one of the end tabs off, using a spring clamp to hold it steady to the miter gauge. Worked great…

The rabbets came out perfect since all 4 sides of the stress panel are made from 3/4 ply…

but I had an issue with the stress panel splines… The splines are made from 3/4 MDF. Because they’re the backing pieces for my shop-made drawer-glides, I wanted to make sure they’d be very stable; any sort of bowing or expansion could cause the glides to bind up or get sloppy. Problem is, 3/4” plywood (for which I sized and cut the dados) is actually 23/32”, while 3/4 MDF is a true 3/4” – so all my dados are 1/32” too wide for my dado slots. When I go back today, I’m going to shave 1/64” off each face at each end of the splines. Once that’s done, the only cutting left to do will be a little router work, so the saw table (with the worktable top sitting on the saw table) will become a nice, flat reference surface for the assembly phase. I’ll assemble the table upside down, using gravity in my favor…

-- Founding member of the (un)Official LumberJock's Frugal Woodworking Society -

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics