In this part I am cutting in the leaves, then I will get into the butterfly. I didn’t have a pattern for the complete picture on paper, the picture was in my head. I drew in the branches w/thorns and using the window method cut and laid them in to the weave (carefully).
Window for half of one done.
Working on the last leaf.
That one is done. Now the odds and ends pieces of the leaves and on to the butterfly. One thing I should have don is a little shading where the two halves of the leaves meet. Shipwreck brought this up and I agree with him. I thought the opposing angles of the two halves would be enough.
With the butterfly I glued the pattern on the weave because of all the pieces, around 200, i figured it would be easier and quicker. I am also using the window method here.
Just a few more to go. For the yellow I am using Barberry (mahonia fremonti from Arizona. I sliced this on the band saw, scraped and sanded till I got to a finished thickness. It is very hard and holds it’s color.
For the black I used ebony. I am a gluten for punishment.
I have started adding of the swallowtail.
Trying to get a sliver of yellow into a ver thin slot on one of the tails.
If you look you will see the tiny window this little guy goes in.
This will take you to the finished box. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/272058
Thank you everyone for looking and especially the comments.
-- Don Solomon, New Castle, IN; Quality is not an act, it is a habit. Aristotle