I had never done a basketweave before so this is the process I came up with. At first it was one of those trial and error things, I’m sure we have all done this.
I covered the inside and outside so I had to have 10 panels. A time consuming process, but I would do it again.
In this picture I am shading both ends of the pieces. I do enough to make 2 or 3 rows. I put 5 or 6 pieces in and by the time I get the last one in the sand the first one is ready to be turned or taken out.
Here I dip the ends onto a wet sponge to replace the moisture removed in the shading process.
This is a picture of the setup I used. I used the contractors square because I didn’t trust my eyes to keep everything lined up and square.
The first row of many is glued up. You only put glue on one end on the first row as you go across and make your strips longer than needed.
I am almost there on the first panel. After the first row put glue on one end and the bottom of each piecebthat will be glued to the preceding row. To start the second row cut a horizontal piece in half.
One panel done and 9 more to go. I was amazed how the pieces actually looked like they go over and under each other.
When all the panels were done I roughed up 1/8” hardboard with 100 grit sandpaper and glued the panels to them. Except the panels for the top because that is where the marquetry was going to be.
In part 3 I will show using the window method to do the marquetry on the roses and maybe the butterfly.
Thanks for looking.
-- Don Solomon, New Castle, IN; Quality is not an act, it is a habit. Aristotle