Made some more progress today. I lightly sanded down the first spray finish coat and applied a second coat—looks pretty smooth.
I put the top and wings face down on my workbench and attached the wings to the top. I carried the top (don’t think I have a hernia—yet) and laid it gently on the base. After putting the bolts attaching the top to the base finger tight, I mounted a 10”, 72 tooth blade on the arbor and aligned the miter slots to the saw blade with a combination square.
I disassembled and cleaned up the fence, then repainted the metal fence parts with the same Rustoleum Smoke Gray spray paint that I used on the base. With the sacrificial fence removed, I sanded and planed a new edge on it then reinstalled it to the fence without any finish on it.
I hand sanded then polished the hand wheels on a buffing wheel and reinstalled them.
I reinstalled the electrical switch and original switch plate and reinstalled the front and rear rails. I was not able to straighten out the small bend in the rear rail, so I simply reinstalled a problem. I know I’ll have to resolve this sooner rather than later . . .
Finally, I cleaned the insert and the two pointers (one on the fence and one on the angle indicator) and painted them all bright red.
When I first plugged it in, I am glad the blade area was clear, because the saw came to life with the switch in the “OFF” position. Looks like I’ll be replacing that switch tomorrow! I did make a test cut in 4/4 cypress, which I realize is not a real challenge for a saw, but it was handy. The saw is very smooth, and MUCH quieter than my Craftsman 113 saw with similar horsepower. The blade height and angle mechanisms are very smooth, even without additional lubrication on the gears and mating parts. I’ll pick up some dry lubricant as recommended by other experts here on LJs.
I didn’t do anything to the motor because I was scared to mess it up. If I end up having to break down the motor for a cleaning or repair, I’ll put some work into prettying up the motor. I did polish up the Marathon Electric logo on the end bell.
Plan for the day tomorrow: pick up a new switch, some dry lubricant and start making a new crosscut sled. Longer term plan is to renew the top by wet sanding with finer grit sandpaper—I’d like to get a shinier finish than it currently has. I think I’ll try baby oil like LJ HokieMojo suggested in Part 1.
-- People say I hammer like lightning. It's not that I'm fast -- it's that I never hit the same place twice!