I spent a bit of time this afternoon cleaning and sanding the cast iron top and wings. I’m still not ready to declare this phase complete, but I’m satisfied with the progress.
Sanded the top by hand with 80 grit, then used the ROS with 120 grit. I assembled the wings to the top to check how flat the assembly would be. It’s a bit off, but one bolt on each wing is stripped. Hopefully I can find replacements locally. I expect that I’ll be able to get it flatter with those bolts installed.
I did notice an area on the infeed side of the table that’s irregular. It looks like a casting mistake, or the PO used that table as an anvil. It’s not cracked, but it does create an area that’s uneven and localized right at the front of the blade.
Plan for tomorrow is to pick up some spray paint closely matched to the Unisaw’s original colors. I also need to put some effort into shining up the hand wheels, pick up a matched set of three belts and install them before I reinstall the top. I also plan to make a few ZCI’s out of MDF—the existing insert looks like it was widened using a hack saw, so the edges of the openings in that insert are jagged. I will also have to make a new crosscut sled, since the Unisaw and my existing Craftsman 113 miter slots are not the same spacing.
I’m still looking for an original switch and riving knife and splitter. I have a lead on a blade guard now—hope that works out.
Thanks for looking!
-- People say I hammer like lightning. It's not that I'm fast -- it's that I never hit the same place twice!