My wife helped me unload the saw from the truck and walk it into the shop. We left it just outside the shop so the sawdust would fall outside—I certainly don’t need more sawdust in the shop!
Using the air compressor, I blew off all the obvious vintage sawdust from the mechanism.
Here’s a before and after comparison:
EDIT: I pulled off the belts. Don’t think I’ll try to save these!
I removed the arbor assembly, intending to disassemble that subassembly. However, the set screw on the pulley is being difficult. I did listen to the bearings with my ear on the subassembly and there is no indication of a problem with the bearings. If I can coax that set screw out and remove the pulley, I will replace those arbor bearings.
I removed the rails from the main top and partially sanded the rear rail.
You can see the slight bend in the rear rail. I’ll have to figure out how to take that bend out, because it affects the operation of the fence. There was also something inside the rail that blocked the light—I figured it was a mud dauber nest. Turned out it was one of the end caps on the rail that was lodged inside the rail. I was able to get it out, but it is not reusable in its salvaged condition.
I started cleaning the cabinet with soap and water with wet/dry sandpaper. I did half of one side of the cabinet manually. I was not satisfied with results, so I got my ROS and dry sanded the rust and flaking paint off one side. I expect to prime and repaint the cabinet. I planned to remove the base, but it looks like I’ll have to hack off the existing screws and replace them. I’ll salvage the square nuts for reuse.
I also pulled the two handwheels off the machine—no problem there.
All of the loose small parts, along with the dust chute, are soaking in an Evaporust bath now.
After the day in the shop was done, I treated myself to a cold one. This is a new brew, and it’s not a new favorite. I prefer Turbo Dog or Purple Haze.
-- People say I hammer like lightning. It's not that I'm fast -- it's that I never hit the same place twice!