I made a bit of progress today. I removed both of the cast iron wings and spent a little quality time with one of them. After scraping the bulk of the nastiness with a metal scraper, I used 400 grit sandpaper with mineral spirits to clean the gunk and rust off the top and sides. I consider this a preliminary cleaning, since I’d like to get a shinier finish on the top and wings.
I did check the main top and the two wings for flatness, and they are pretty flat considering that the saw is older than me (by only a year, though). I did discover that one of the bolt holes where the wing attaches to the main top is cracked. However, the crack is through the bolt hole and the bolt threads still bite into the opening—no repair is planned for that.
The plan for the day tomorrow is to bring the saw and top into the shop and blow out the cabinet and mechanism, getting all visible debris out of the cabinet and moving parts. I’ll also do a preliminary cleaning of the main cast iron top and the other wing.
Thanks for following the progress.
-- People say I hammer like lightning. It's not that I'm fast -- it's that I never hit the same place twice!