The shelf was originally flush with the top of the stretchers. However, because the stretchers needed to be so high, and the screw so low, that limited my storage. To counter this, I’ve lowered the shelf within the stretchers. This also made away with support pieces.
Lacking the new lei-nielson tongue and groove plane (I have a birthday soon… anyone… anyone…) I used a circ saw and a small router to cut the tongue and groove joins. It was a little rough, a few pieces went for scrap, but I got some nice pieces.
Finish – just need a bench
A little sanding, oil, sanding and they came up quite nicely. When I install them on the bench, I’ll drop a bit of silicon in the joints as a soft spacer.
-- Daniel - http://theloveofwood.blogspot.com/