Started off working on my saw horses. I definitely appreciated the advice to build a saw bench, but it was going to be significantly more involved than the extremely basic set of stacking saw horses I did build. Plus it can’t stack, which was a huge detractor. I will likely build one later on, but probably not until I have a functional bench in place.
This was the first time I had ever used a handsaw and attempted to do more than a rough cut to fit oversized studs in the back of my truck. It turns out two things I learned about hand cutting boards, first of all, it’s a lot of work. Second it requires a lot more focus to cut straight. I foresee a bit of practice cutting and, if not replacing my current saw, at least sharpening it. It’s an “aggressive” tooth Husky saw, I’m not sure what that means though to be honest.
Every time I cut a board it cut at a slight angle away from my line. Always long on the bottom of the board. It’s also usually straight and flat for the first half inch or so then it starts to drift. My first two or three cuts were really bad and I was as much as a half inch on the bottom. To fix it I just flipped it over and cut through. Oh, I almost forgot, my very first couple I forgot to make a knife wall and… yeah… that was pretty terrible. They came out too short by almost an inch. That said, I figured it out and stopped having as many boards that were too short. Very few had a flat footing though, and the legs are not even so the horses rock… a lot. I’ll definitely have to even out the legs a bit, but right now I’ve got a massive amount of wood being stored on them. So that’ll have to wait.
Anyway, this was my first experience into gluing boards together. First experience trying to cut boards to a precise length with a hand saw. As well as the first project I’ve actually performed because I wanted to, and not because I was being paid to. Due to that (as well as the fact that it was midnight when I was finishing my project) my screw placement was… rough. They’re just enough to keep everything together, but they definitely are not very nice to look at. Which I’m okay with. Overall, the material to build these was just under $10/each. Their utilitarian nature makes me okay with the fact that they’re not very nice to look at. Also took me about 2-3 hours of work time to complete, though had a lot of interruptions so I’m not sure how accurate that time is. Enjoy the pictures and stay tuned for the next update!
Oh also something I learned… using a plastic speedsquare to make a knife wall is a bad idea. Pretty sure my square isn’t square anymore.
Okay, so this one was just my absolute best cut and I felt really proud of it. It’s a little silly, I know. But yeah. It’s pretty awesome.
-- Of the three rules of combat medicine, the third is the most important.