I finally got my Hybrid Woodworkers Bench mobile and ready to go. I found some different castors from Peachtree though their email specials. Told myself “gonna get this puppy runnin around my shop!” As those who follow some of my ramblings know I had put some castors with a stem into the legs of my bench but even though I found star nuts to fit the shafts and re threaded the star nuts, the stem was not long enough and the forces from the bench weight caused it to wobble. a quick tap with the hammer and you can see that it sat on two by fours against the wall.
The second picture is my first cut and mount of the castors. They measured 4 ” non compressed, and I was pretty proud of my accurate hand saw work. Oh yeah forgot to add the 1 1/2 inches which meant a shorter cut.
Actually woke up the following morning and realized what I forgot! So, I looked around at what I had, measured the feet length and width and cut and sanded some more of the leg material. Routed the ends to add a touch of finish to them
This is the previous good idea that wasn’t. LOL! you can see the original casters hat lasted about ten minutes after I turned the bench over!
This is how the bench originally looked shimmed on the2×4’s.
Thanks to Klaus Kiefer, Paul the Woodwright, Blackie the valet box maker, for their original assistance and shove to get the thing done and posted.
I took a little extra time at the end as I think the guys I just spoke of would and made it a little prettier, as well as protecting it from the extremes in humidity in my shop. I seal oated it, which caused the grain to pop, and added a coat of water- borne poly to seal it off.
As always all comments and humor is welcomed.
Thanks for looking
-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher