I’ve been spending most of my non working time rehabbing my windows on the second floor of my Country style Queen Anne house. sometimes working from the inside and often working off a tall 2 story ladder. A necessary task that I have neglected for 14 years! The project here is my last window for the season. It’s going to snow here in Southern MN and temperatures will drop.
This is a box of sorts, with glass on two sides. It replaces a real catastrophe in the laundry room which had a plastic/vinyl window insert for the dryer exhaust and a storm window which was partially open. A lot of cold MN winter wind passed through there. I decided to do a double pane window from materials I had. It is not used for anything but letting light into a small laundry room. Dallas a fellow lumberjock has already informed me of my folly, but I couldn’t afford a thermopane glass for the window. Yep, already having humidity forming on the inside due to temperature differences.
The first picture is the finished product that I painted with one coat of oil based primer, two coats of 123 water borne primer and a top coat of water borne satin. Yep, a lot of paint! And I hope I won’t have to do it again in my remaining lifetime. LOL! (unless I put in thermopane glazing)
The next picture is the cedar frame which is found wood from a dumpster from around 13 years ago! Had slots and plexiglass which I thought could be useful for jigs. I used my router table to do a half inch quarter round-over on the edges of the cedar and then used my table saw to cut the quarter round away for later re installing.
Third picture is assembly of the “BOX” using lap joints, glue and mechanical fasteners. Couldn’t find my countersink so I used a large drill bit. I didn’t think cedar was so brittle, but no one will see it? Cut some 2×4’s square to insure the clamping would be square as I’ve not bought or made some clamping jigs. It worked!
Next is the Seal Coat to insure moisture resistance
Next one coat of oil based primer to fill the pours, and two coats of Zissner’s 123 primer. Finally filled the mounting screw holes and put a satin topcoat on the box/window, and used 3/4 18 gage pin nails and 25 year caulk to seal the outside of the window panes
Mounted the window with some adjustment, filled the seams with caulk and finished! Going to snow Sunday night!
Looks like I might get to play with my new chainsaw and my walnut and maple tree cuttings/logs, before it gets too-cold.
All comments, critiques, are welcome.
-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher