I’m joining the guys who commented on rehabbing my chair. I probably will not rehab for money,because I really want to make what is in my imagination right now. LOL!
I use the word marathon in this personal journey (nightmare) as opposed to finishing a race as the metaphor for my unexpected struggles. My Sofa was pretty easy, and more of a mechanical fix. I had also put a touch up water borne stain on the sofa frame. This success made me overconfident and un-expectant. LOL!
It’s been almost 2 months since I finished the sign for my office and started rehabbing my chair and this desk. I have not worked on these pieces daily and my days in the shop would average about 4 hours.
I posted the chair and received many supportive comments from my friends and fellow Lumberjocks.
Regarding this little Art Deco production piece, desk/makeup table: It too was a “find” that I have had for about 12 years now. It has been a plant stand to hold the huge potted dieffenbachia and evergreen. The drawers were the right size to hold all those manuals for my electronics and appliance as well as shop and garden tools. Oh I forgot, cat perch for yard viewing. Probably more functional than my chair? LOL!
I worked on the chair and desk alternately and in the middle of all this found an 18 inch scroll saw that I blogged about. When I ran into trouble, (almost immediately) I blogged for assistance and received a lot of different and good advice. Unfortunately, and monetarily I was not consistent in following through. Much of it was difference in the finishing media.
The pictures are the journey sequence. I left out a lot of the steps for brevity LOL!
Repair of separated drawer dovetails. Glue and clamps and torsion brought this old girl back into some alignment, I patched the holes with sanding dust and glue and planed the sides as they were a tight fit in the drawer slides.
What I discovered after taking the desk to the shop and sanding down to 220 grit. In another piece I might have left it natural, but this is an Art Deco knock off production piece. Oh yeah was going to take top off but the front supporting bridge had a glue block and nails? Hmm! How to make this all one color?
First sealer (2 coats), then I asked A1Jim for advice. He suggested dye or paint. Not experienced with dye and after checking costs of the dyes with shipping, I went with local Ace hardware Rustolium spray paint. (I live in a small farm town.) Found a dark brown espresso that matched the tone of the desk. Sprayed it with one coat per can instructions. Also made a test piece (good thinking right?). Test piece had two coats and no sealer underneath. Following day applied oil based poly to the test board and Danish oil to the test board and let it dry. I examined the finish and found the poly finish was not streaky like the Danish Oil.
Per can instructions I used a sponge brush to apply. Oh yeah it was a new can of a different brand of poly. “ I know how to paint, did it semi professionally” and this ended up with ribbons and rows! Sanded off and applied two coats and then used a ZAR water borne poly. Using a fine bristle nylon brush, More of the same! Sanded again! GRRR!
Figured out that the paint and primer mixture espresso just did not harden adequately even in 48 hours!
Soooooooooo! Went back to the water borne walnut stain that I had used on the frame of the sofa; Two coats and adequate drying time. I applied the same brand (more dilute) water borne poly to the surface, sanded and it didn’t go great, I was using my oscillating sander w/220 but ate a hole right through to the desk!!!!!! Walked away again! Thought about it and attempt touch up. Disaster again!
Re-sanded and stained again! Then applied the poly and hand buff/scuff sanded! Put on another coat of water born and scuff sanded as there were mars in the finish. Got it smooth and I quit with only two coats.
Seriously aggravated but done. So I didn’t win but I finished the marathon. This piece was moved into my office on Saturday!
Thanks for following my story.
-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher