An update re: progress if it can be called that? The first picture is a somewhat organized chaos! I realized that I was in Hazzard County as my benches and the floor were filled with materials, tools and garbage. I decided that after the electric box was approved to go out and work on that “piece of ash.” But I was unable to move.
The second picture is a slight evolution of progress? I actually put in about three of my shop DAZE getting materials and tools put on the floor to ceiling shelving I built, which took more time than I expected…OH DAH!
The third picture, which should be the last in this sequence, is that ash that I had cut in two to work on the checks and splits that had developed. Found out why Charles Neil is always right…LOL! The piece was given to me as a sample. Its from the center of the log and near the first cut off the log. The piece split right where Charles said “it always splits and checks here.” GRRR!
Wanted to do a butterfly, Nakashima style on the organic piece. Didn’t have a mortising bit! Ordered one. When I put it into my porter cable plunge router and tried to use the bushing . It ate it up. Brass!
go figure????? Waiting on a Porter Cable bushing set.
The last three photos show why it took some time. I jacked up the second floor joists and set the posts to help support my second floor and plumb the support posts.
This is the floor to ceiling shelving that I built. 2 ft deep and 8 ft wide! I loaded it up and now have some organized chaos! The shelving took around 2 weeks with work and waiting for the concrete pads to set up. No level surfaces in my Cau Haus!
Damn, even though they are small pads they took a week to set. This gave me a flat and level as well as strong base to set the posts.
I am now trying to get my plane blades sharpened, and my planes functional.. playing with my routers and the piece of ash!
Spring time is here. I missed my objective of having my jointer planer assembled as well as my floor drill press, which is still in a box under material in another room in the shop!
My old Victorian house is in need of maintenance she is 140 years old and has lots of character but she requires more energy than a normal house/ rebuilt THE BACK PORCH, ADDED INSULATED WINDOWS AND ADDITIONAL FRAMING. it’s 80 % finished on inside and needs something to stay in character on the outside.
Another reason for my lack of follow through is I lost two more of my cats to Feline Leukemia this past month.
Three inches forward…two inches back.
Later my friends
-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher