So, I’ve started the bed and its been going pretty good so far. I had all the stock that i had already bought (still need to find a few pieces and pick up the hardward, however its not Really needed until the end, so im not worried about it) resting in the shop for about 10 days which is good! The wood im using for the this project is Poplar, its easy enough to work with, it stains up beautifully, and was readily available and on the lower end of the price market.
Onto the woodworking, I take three pieces of 5/4 Poplar and joint one edge, then cut to rough width (~3 1/8”)on the table saw. Then i cut to a rough length on the power mitre saw.. I then joint one face, and then plane the stock down to ~1” thickness. I then glue three pieces together to get a approx. 3”x3” post. I follow that process with the other 3 posts and end up with this.. Good thing the school has lots of clamps…..
That was all that got done the first day. The second day I un-clamped the posts, and did final squaring on a little 6” jointer. I then went back to the chop saw, squared up one end, measured for my lengths, and then cut to final length. Then following my ‘Post Details’ (original plans from WOODSMITH Magazine, just copied for school requirements) I begin laying out lines for my tapered legs, for the decorative coves on the outside corners, and I mark a big centre-line and stop lines for the mortises.
I finished up my second day with constructing a jig for the router, to allow me to plough my mortises with a 1/2” spiral-cutting bit referenced off the centre-ling of the posts. The mortises will be 1/2” thick x 3-1/2” wide x 1-1/2” deep. That’ll be tomorrows project, and then I’ll start milling up the stock for the upper and lower rails (with mortises) of the foot and headboards.
-- Drummer Gandy