Here is the leg vise i made, it works OK, but i can tell the force it puts on the mounts i made are going to fail over time. (see pic below)
Then i came across this picture of an old black smith vise and wondered why hadn’t anyone one done one like this before? seemed simple, strong and fairly fool proof (ie Me Proof)
So off i went to build my own:
1st i turned a wheel using 2 pieces of 6/4 hard maple, laminated together.
then i epoxied and pinned some 3/4” acme rod in to it ( found 6’ of the stuff on ebay for less than $40, so dont feel like you have to drop big money to use acme rod)
Next i bought 8 3/4” ID falanged bearings. Put 2 in the leg vise itself, and 2 on the bench, along with the 2 acme nuts (also ebay. 5 for $12)
The chain is 35p and the sprockets are 17 teeth (i think)
i bought all 3 from a GREAT sight for less than$15 www.surpluscenter.com
i used my mortiser to cut the grove the nuts fit in. Made it tight so there wouldnt be any slop
Yes that is my blood on the wood…not a bad cut, just bled a lot
I then built a very robust mount for the bottom half of the vise. the top is ok, im going to rework it.
(ill show that in my next post)
I’m not finished yet..there are more tweeks and touches to go. I’ll show you the finished product and steps on my next post