Originally i was going to include my adventures in vise making, into my blog about my new work bench. But the farther along i got and the more mistakes i made, the more i realized it should be separated.
Here was my goal:
1. build a leg vise that is extremely strong and worked well.
2. Not to spend a fortune (ie +$300 for the BenchCraft kind)
3. Try out some new ideas – could i use regular threaded rod? – is there a better way to make the stop on the bottom part of the vise?
I started it all off by making the bar to turn it, and the head for the threaded rod
Then i made the vise itself. It’s a variation on the ShopNotes version. Mine is longer and a bit wider
This leads us to Mistake NO#1
After i finished, i realized i cut the threaded rod way too short. So decided to remake the rod and the head. (since the old one was epoxied to it) It was also wider and longer to hold up better
Here comes Mistake NO#2
Originally, the leg vise was going to be attached to the actual leg of the table….well once i installed it, i realized it blocked the drawers.
This is right before i realized my bone head move. It looked great and worked nicely.
This is after:
Which brings us to Mistake NO#3
I should NEVER have cut the vise down. thankfully i cut it on the band saw so the kerf was small. I re glued it and put some wooden dowels in it
I then moved the mounts to the outside of the leg
this was the beginning of Mistake NO#4
But ill save that for the next post. I need to load up some more pics.