LumberJocks

Balanced Work Bench #3: I'm a bit retarded...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jeremiah posted 08-08-2013 03:33 AM 732 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: building the leg vise Part 3 of Balanced Work Bench series Part 4: it's starting to look like something »

I had all these great ideas about this workbench, and how i was going to make it….sort of missed a BIG mistake.

The leg vise i made, didn’t clear the top drawer. Such a DUMB mistake. Unfortunately i didn’t spot it until i was too far along. So i panicked and cut the vise to fit. After sleeping on it, i decided that too was really DUMB. but i had already cut it….

Look for yourself, please don’t laugh too hard (or if you do, don’t post it)

BEFORE

AFTER i realized i was an idiot:

I have since, reglued the piece of the leg vise i cut off. Thankfully i used my bandsaw so the kerf was minor.

I’ll post more after i recover from my own stupidity :)
-JD



4 comments so far

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

3524 posts in 841 days


#1 posted 08-08-2013 01:02 PM

i wouldn’t be to hard on myself,if you seen some of the mistakes i’ve made you’d say he needs to stay in the house.looking forward to seeing the bench when done…

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View Jeremiah's profile

Jeremiah

73 posts in 975 days


#2 posted 08-15-2013 06:24 PM

Thanks, Whitebeast. Sometimes its nice to be reminded you aren’t the only one who makes mistakes

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

8476 posts in 2300 days


#3 posted 08-15-2013 06:44 PM

interesting!

you say you cut this with a bandsaw – but aren’t those tablesaw burning marks on the cut edge?

so what’s the planned solution/fix?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Jeremiah's profile

Jeremiah

73 posts in 975 days


#4 posted 08-23-2013 01:12 AM

you are right about the burns. I should have mentioned, that on the bottom, thin part of the vise i used the table saw. On the thicker top part i used my bandsaw.

As to the solution, it is still up in the air.

I did glue the cut piece back on and move it to the outside of the leg, for the moment. It holds really tight, but i can see the flex in the mounting. Long term, I’m going to have to make some changes.

Here is a pic of it moved to the outside of the leg:

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase