LumberJocks

Air Station #1: A Place for My "Stuff"

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DiggerJ posted 06-25-2014 11:07 PM 639 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Air Station series Part 2: I caught a Monster! »

I should start by saying that I have a pretty big home shop (35×50, with attached equipment room), but I also have quite a bit of “stuff”. I am trying to use approx. half of it for woodworking and that means I need to move my rider motorcycle and lawn mower out and in.

So I felt I should build a place for DC, clean air and clamps. You know, things you need much of the time. I built the separator on a 55 gallon drum and put the HF DC head up in the top of the enclosure. Filter and bag are next to it with a drawer for air stuff under that. Two gates just above floor level, as I can’t run my pipes overhead. Should meet my need pretty well, and I have enough hose to work with dust collection in the driveway if needed!

Front of the station has a dry erase board for doodling and numbers I need to remember (minor stroke last year). Under that is the area for some of my clamps. Peg board on sides and lower front to provide air around DC motor and for a few tools.

Coming from a mostly metalworking background, this is a big learning adventure. I am hooked!

Now to put the clean air up top and get it plumbed in…

-- Digger -- If you work long enough and hard enough to make it idiot-proof...the world will build a better idiot!



3 comments so far

View dbhost's profile

dbhost

5387 posts in 1983 days


#1 posted 06-26-2014 12:08 AM

Intriguing setup… I am a bit baffled by the enclosed impeller and separator, yet the ring and bags are exposed… Does that offer some kind of advantage?

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View DiggerJ's profile

DiggerJ

69 posts in 287 days


#2 posted 06-26-2014 12:44 AM

The closet is to put it together. Pegboard on the left side is next to a counter where some of the power tools will reside. Front is for a door for the can and clamps. Since The impellor is above the separator and mounted in the closet frame. The separator lifts to allow the can to be emptied. The filter (don’t have the Wynn yet) was an attempt to allow free air movement out, and mayb e blow some across to the DC head unit, while letting me keep an eye on the bag. To the right will be more stuff, hence the right side of the drawer area not being closed yet.

There is a new compressor going above the closet on two runners and the air line will come down the inside right for it to come out and hook to desiccant filter/regulator attached on the right side of the closet on the lower left area of the bag. Trying to keep it all in a fairly tight area and hope for the best. I am putting some 3x blocks arounf the gates so they don’t get clipped by something rolling by.

Seems to work well so far, and if not, I got more experience building stuff! Do you see anything out of whack so far? I am always trying to learn.

-- Digger -- If you work long enough and hard enough to make it idiot-proof...the world will build a better idiot!

View DiggerJ's profile

DiggerJ

69 posts in 287 days


#3 posted 06-26-2014 12:59 AM

And I guess if I am to confess… I have a habit of laying stuff around and I am trying to improve. If stuff has a home, it might be easier to keep me in line….hopefully. I am trying to centralize this stuff as it will be used a bunch. Probably going with French cleats on the wall to continue organizing.

-- Digger -- If you work long enough and hard enough to make it idiot-proof...the world will build a better idiot!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase