Noah's Ark

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by DigBaddy updated 11-13-2012 03:16 AM 5 parts 12585 reads 5 comments total

Part 1: The Plans and my first cuts.

08-16-2012 08:56 AM by DigBaddy | 0 comments »

My name is Keith. I am very new to scroll sawing. I received a scroll saw for Father’s Day, so that makes me about 2.5 months old in scroller years. :) I started off in my scrolling hobby by cutting some basic puzzles from this book. A few of the ABC snake puzzles later and I was itching for something a little more challenging. I stumbled upon Toy Maker Press and was immediately drawn to their Noah’s Ark sets. I’ve wanted to build one for my little nieces for quite ...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Final cuts, sanding, sanding, and more sanding

09-08-2012 04:02 AM by DigBaddy | 0 comments »

After a few days on and off of working on this project (among others, including another snake puzzle and a cat puzzle). I finally have the ark fully assembled and all the animals sanded. I didn’t take any more in progress pictures but I did snap some of the completed ark (minus a finish). I spent about 7 hours hand sanding the animals from 80 grit to 330 grit (I think or it is 320). I put them in a ziploc bag so they don’t get full of dust. During this time I finished buil...

Read this entry »

Part 3: Applying the finish!

09-17-2012 06:10 PM by DigBaddy | 0 comments »

I applied three coats of a spray laquer, and three coats of spray poly and the ark is finished. Next up is the animals. Just need to figure out how to keep them from falling over while spraying. I am also working on another cross. This one is going to be made out of 1/4” walnut. There are over 280 cuts in this one! If I do 28 cuts a day, it should only take me 10 days to finish the cutting!

Read this entry »

Part 4: The animals are all done!

11-11-2012 08:28 PM by DigBaddy | 4 comments »

Just finished applying 3 coats of rub on poly to all the animals! once they are dry I’ll get a final pic of the animals with the Ark and post that in projects! Till then, here are two pics of the animals. Woods used are padauk, black walnut, yellowheart, red cedar, ash, aspen, basswood, wenge, and beechnut.

Read this entry »

Part 5: Finished!

11-13-2012 03:16 AM by DigBaddy | 1 comment »

Finished this project. You can see more pictures in my projects gallery. Here are some I didn’t upload over there.

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics