Out in the shop today dry fitting a small scale (6”x8”) prototype of an end grain cutting board using cheap Poplar to hold costs down and hone my technique. (Heck, given my lack of experience it’s more like creating a technique!)
The first dry fit went easily – too easily when I pondered it. So I tried again, this time imagining the pieces all slippery with glue… And sure enough all the parts ‘skidded around’ and a couple ended up on the ‘floor’. It took another two tries to come up with an assembly/clamping sequence that ends with all the parts clamped and none on the floor.
But they aren’t quite square on the ends…
Still, I’ve gotten a lot of insight into what it will take to assemble the prototype and by extension the final board.
-- Derek, Bremerton WA --